6.18.2007

Vintage clothes sometimes don't fit, but the bar did

Feeling particularly feisty for a weekday night, my friends and I decided to try a new bar. Now, I have nothing against expanding horizons, especially when it's in the name of drinking, but I like feeling at home when I drink (I also like to drink when I'm at home). There are definite perks to having your regular bar-- being aware of the price range, finding the bathrooms with ease, y'know, going where everybody knows your name. Yet, despite its newness, I immediately felt quite comfortable at Vintage. A lot of this could have been due to the fact that we were able to grab some cushy chairs in the back-- a *must* if this is where you choose to booze.

The atmosphere at Vintage is not particularly swanky, but not cheap looking either. It felt cozy. I would give the clientele a similar review-- not swanky, but not cheap...I don't know if clientele can be cozy, but fine, they were cozy too. After a good look around, it was time for my first drink of the night. Well, I mean, obviously it wasn't my first first drink. But it was my first drink at this particular venue. I went to the bar and ordered my signature rum and diet, to which the friendly bartender responded, "What kind of rum?" This took me aback, as such a query is not typical of my ordering dialogue. I guess I'm not usually in bars where it matters. A modest lady, I responded with "whatever's cheap." Yet, given that I was asked for rum-type at all, I started to fear that Vintage might be out of my desired price range. Wrong! Just $5 for my R & D. Phew.

Satisfied with both the price and potency of my drink, I cozied myself into a chair and entered into a game of Botticelli (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Botticelli_%28game%29 --not a drinking game, per se, but fun to play while drinking). Despite the fact that I am horrible at said game, I had a great time. Enjoying myself while doing something I'm bad at?...a rare occasion indeed. I can’t help but conclude that Vintage played a part in my cheery mood. Thusly, I must recommend, it’s a pretty graight bar.

Vintage
753 9th Ave
Between 50th & 51st
(212) 581-4655

http://www.vintagebar.net/

Bar Notables:
*Waitress service for drinks if you're in the back (not mandatory)
*MANY MANY varieties of beer (nothing on draft though); definitely worth a go for beer lovers
*Also a large list of specialty martinis (with specials)
*Cute menu for bites
:( Not Graight service-- waiters are spacey and slow, but everyone is nice

Subways:
C, E at 50th, 1 at 50th...or there's every subway and the tube at 42nd

No comments: